Comments

 

'To get' can be used in a number of patterns and has a number of meanings.
TO #GET + direct object = obtain, receive, buy.
Example:
• I got my passport last week.

TO GET + place expression = reach, arrive at a place.
Example:
• How are you getting home tonight?

TO GET + adjective = become, show a change of state.
Example:
• I am getting old.

TO GET + preposition/adverb is used in many phrasal verbs.
Example:
• This rain is really getting me down.

TO GET has a number of other meanings:
Examples:
• Do you get it? (understand)
• He's getting dinner tonight. (prepare a meal)
• I'll get the bill. (pay the bill)
• I'll get the phone. (answer the phone)
• That really gets me! (irritate, annoy)

Other expressions with GET:
Examples:
TO GET rid of something means to throw it away.
Example: I'm going TO GET rid of all these old newspapers.
TO GET out of bed on the wrong side means to be in a bad mood.
Example: He got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and he's been horrible all day.

TO GET your own back means to have your revenge or punish someone.
Example: She's getting her own back for all those rude things you said at the party last night.

ettefreeguy




Post a Comment Blogger

 
Top